June is adopt a cat month! If you’re considering adding a new addition to your family, do your research!
- Find reviews on the places you’re considering adopting from!
- Make visiting the place you’re adopting from a family trip. Be sure that the personality of the cat you’re adopting fits well into your family dynamic and lifestyle.
- Calculate the costs of owning a pet. Many people who have never owned a pet before underestimate the cost of routine care. Be sure to figure in the cost of regular health exams, vaccines, spay/neuter surgery if your pet has not already had the procedure, food, toys, comfort items and more.
- Become familiar with the veterinary practices in your area. Schedule a routine exam as soon as possible after bringing home your furry friend to ensure his/her health!
- If now isn’t a good time for you to adopt, but you’d still like to make a difference, consider contacting your local shelters and volunteering.